David Allen is the originator of GTD, and founder of David Allen Co. GTD is the shorthand brand for "Getting Things Done," the groundbreaking work-life management system by David Allen that provides concrete solutions for navigating uncertainty into an integrated system of stress-free productivity.
David is the author of Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity, Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done, and Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and the Business of Life.
David Allen Company is a global training and consulting company, widely considered the leading authority in the fields of organizational and personal productivity.
Covered in this episode:
- GTD Basics
- GTD hang ups - common places where the GTD process falls apart for people:
- Failure to capture
- Failure to decide the outcome you’re committed to, and the specific action steps
- Failure to then act (2 minute rule) or capture the action, or reminder to act on in the future
- Failure to review
- The one list most people do work well is their calendar.
- Anything that is a win that instills trust in your system helps.
- Simple processes to achieve mini wins to trust your system more
- Drawing on the right side of the brain
- Sometimes a trusted system can be people
- David Allen's TEDx Talk: WHY do GTD, not just WHAT it is or HOW
- How David starts his day: Good coffee, and the right maps.
- Dealing with distractions and unexpected inbox deliveries
- David’s most powerful tools: The Physical Inbox and Notetaker wallet
- How GTD applies to “work/life balance/blending”
- GTD is a lifestyle
- A lot of Getting Things Done is about not getting things done. It's about being appropriately engaged with what's going on.
- GTD and personal relationships
- The relationship between David and his wife’s personal GTD systems
- GTD behaviors really need to be installed in a cooperate culture
- Click to tweet ->Bad meetings create huge emails, and huge emails create bad meetings. - @GTDGuy
- Movings things from the someday maybe list into actions and tasks to bring them into reality
- How much time is too much time “investigating” productivity apps?
- The “official GTD app”
- List function in Lotus notes
- Eproductivity add in for list and calender functionality
- Mind Manager for mind maps
- The Brain
- iPhone 5
- Nothing beats pen and paper!
Connect with David and the GTD System:
We need your help in the 2015 Podcast Awards!
Please nominate our shows in the Podcast Awards! It's fast and easy. You would be awesome to help us, as you and others have been awesome before.
- Visit podcastawards.com
- Under Peoples Choice, add Resurrection Revealed http://ResurrectionRevealed.com/
- Under Best Produced, add ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast http://ONCEpodcast.com/
- Under Business, add Beyond the To-Do List http://BeyondtheToDoList.com/
- Under Comedy, add the Ramen Noodle clean comedy http://CleanComedyPodcast.com/
- Under Entertainment, add Welcome to Level Seven http://WelcometoLevelSeven.com/
- Under General, add The Productive Woman http://TheProductiveWoman.com/
- Under Religion Inspiration, add Are You Just Watching? http://AreYouJustWatching.com/
- Under Technology, add The Audacity to Podcast http://TheAudacitytoPodcast.com/
- Enter your name and email address
- Choose whether you're a listener, podcaster, or both
- Click Submit