David Allen is the originator of GTD, and founder of David Allen Co. GTD is the shorthand brand for “Getting Things Done,” the groundbreaking work-life management system by David Allen that provides concrete solutions for navigating uncertainty into an integrated system of stress-free productivity.
David is the author of Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity, Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done, and Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and the Business of Life.
David Allen Company is a global training and consulting company, widely considered the leading authority in the fields of organizational and personal productivity.
Covered in this episode:
- GTD Basics
- GTD hang ups – common places where the GTD process falls apart for people:
- Failure to capture
- Failure to decide the outcome you’re committed to, and the specific action steps
- Failure to then act (2 minute rule) or capture the action, or reminder to act on in the future
- Failure to review
- The one list most people do work well is their calendar.
- Anything that is a win that instills trust in your system helps.
- Simple processes to achieve mini wins to trust your system more
- Drawing on the right side of the brain
- Sometimes a trusted system can be people
- David Allen’s TEDx Talk: WHY do GTD, not just WHAT it is or HOW
- How David starts his day: Good coffee, and the right maps.
- Dealing with distractions and unexpected inbox deliveries
- David’s most powerful tools: The Physical Inbox and Notetaker wallet
- How GTD applies to “work/life balance/blending”
- GTD is a lifestyle
- A lot of Getting Things Done is about not getting things done. It’s about being appropriately engaged with what’s going on.
- GTD and personal relationships
- The relationship between David and his wife’s personal GTD systems
- GTD behaviors really need to be installed in a cooperate culture
- Movings things from the someday maybe list into actions and tasks to bring them into reality
- How much time is too much time “investigating” productivity apps?
- The “official GTD app”
- List function in Lotus notes
- Eproductivity add in for list and calender functionality
- Mind Manager for mind maps
- The Brain
- iPhone 5
- Nothing beats pen and paper!
Connect with David and the GTD System:
Please connect with me
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- The Audacity to Podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven
- The Productive Woman
- Are You Just Watching?
- the Ramen Noodle
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial Fan Podcast for CBS Television's Summer Hit
- Christian Meets World
- The Sci Phi Show
- Resurrection Revealed
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast